Wednesday 14 December 2011

EVALUATION

Bellavista Evaluation //4

Firstly, I started this brief really exited as I had never done a branding brief before and I wanted to really experiment with print and layout. I knew I wanted to base the restaurant on architecture and have it modern and stylized so I started off researching into modern architecture and sketching out tall buildings to get a feel of how I was going to design the deliverables. I came across Spanish architecture pretty much straight away and was very inspired by its form and simplicity and I knew that is how I wanted Bellavista to be like. I came across the Chapel in … It is designed by Spanish architecture firm S.M.A.O. Studio. Many people believe that these conditions are not compatible, but I really think that the Catholic Church is very forward looking and managed to combine tradition and modernity.

This unique and modern building located in Spain, in a place called Almaden. I was surprised by the uniqueness of the buildings shape; it is the result of folding paper.  So I started folding paper and used that as a key for my deliverables. I spent a lot of time choosing the colour of the restaurant, probably too much time actually and I firstly made the decision of having it red, green and white for an Italian quinine. However after my crit it was clear to me that have the Italian colours is a bit cliché and also it looked inelegant and shabby so I decided to change it more
dignified colours which I am much happier with.

The layout of the menus took me a very long time as I wanted to get everything perfectly in line and at the start of doing this I wasn’t all that familiar with Indesign so I did things the long way like having the dish names all in separate type boxes and also having the prices in separate type box and lining them up by eye, however after a few sessions with print induction this helped me lay things out much better as I learned to use tabs and made sure all the text was same font and size ect. I knew from the start that I wanted the menu to be long and thin but I changed the design of it opening a few times. At first I wanted it to open up all complicated and delicate but I realised It was better to keep it simple as a menu needs to be very legible and straight forward so I just made it open like a book. I was really happy with the printing as I laminated the menus and I printed the inside on sugar paper, which I was happy with. Although I kept printing it wrong as I did so many moc ups and every one was either wrong size or double sided was upside down so I ended up just printing it on 2 separate sheets and sticking them together back to back.

I was also really happy with the prints of my business cards in the shape of logo and on high gloss stock, I think they look very elegant

After my crit with Amber she opened my mind into making interior for the restaurant and not just paper based deliverables, or even just moc them up so I found a really good website about a high class restaurant in Canada and all the photos were really big files so I used them for my context and fortunately it was very modern and stylised to match my interpretation of Bellavista. So I photoshped a lamp shade the same as my logo and also I made a door handle from Oak. This was the first time I was introduced to laser cutting and I really enjoyed it even though it took me along time to grasp it.


No comments:

Post a Comment