Wednesday 14 December 2011

EVALUATION


Not just fleurons //5

This brief I started out knowing I wanted to design a typeface but it took me along time to actually think about it as at first I had no inspiration but after looking in tons of books and websights at different designs I found a website which is on my blog on a girl who designed the front cover of arts magazine and I really liked it as it was all hand rendered and was very detailed. So with this in mind I decided I want to makek a hand rendered type face, I had never done this before so it was something new as I don’t normally draw things by hand these days. So I started out by just drawing plants and features of flowers and I was going to design a typeface with lots of little plants making up the letters but I didn’t really like the design, thought it was a little too obvious designing a typeface for plants, using plants. So I started looking at petals ans started freely drawing spirals and petals and wavy lines and then I making all the shapes fit, and this is when I came up with what my typeface would look like.

I decided to use a serif font because I knew I wanted to keep the typeface simple and with a sans serif the legibility would be lowered, so I decided on Impact as it was bold and big and easy to read when covered with spirals.

At this point, I had a laser cutting induction so I knew I wanted to experiment with different materials and not just print onto paper. My original thought was to lut the letters out of acrylic but I wanted to keep it as environmentally friendly as possible.

Drawing out the letters was extremely time consuming however very theraputic. The first time I drew ut the whole alphabet I used a green fineliner but it wasn’t a very good pen and left a lot of bleed so when I scaned it in it wouldn’t live trace very well and I could not of gone over it as it would take far too long so I just drew each letter out again using the finest black fine liner I had, and I did a few tests and that appeared to scan a lot clearer.

After my crit with Fred he told me to add this brief with the typeface brief and produce another typeface so I had a set of 3. However, it was much easier said then done. I did make this into a book with the French fold but when it came to designing another typeface I just couldn’t think of anything new and I felt as though the typeface I was doing was rushed and ineffective, so I srapped that idea and made the ‘not just fleurons’ brief a separate brief again.

No comments:

Post a Comment